Sunday, May 26, 2013

I find it fascinating that the tools I rejected at the beginning of this module are now looking like fun and useful ways to curate resources! I skimmed past Pinterest because of my own prejudices as to its usefulness, but my colleagues have shown me some really useful ways to use it as a classroom tool. Now, I will have to go back to my classroom computer and find out if the site is blocked on our school's system!

As I mentioned in the discussion section, I had only considered Pinterest as a "fluff" site where people collected pretty pictures of food or decorating ideas. The fact that it might have some use in a classroom had not entered my mind, but then I followed the links to the Pinterest boards for Spanish tapas and The Great Gatsby, and my brain started producing its own visions of boards to use in my classes.

The tapas board in particular made me wonder why I had dismissed Pinterest so quickly. French = food, n'est-ce pas? The fact that my French 1 class just had a food day last week made it all the more ridiculous that I had dismissed Pinterest so quickly. We had discussed what is and is not French (francophone) food, and each student was responsible for bringing a specific dish to the food day. A Pinterest board would have made the discussion and the organization so much easier! This summer, I plan to begin experimenting with Pinterest and creating collections of food ideas by country/region - France (possibly broken down into regions of France), French-speaking Europe, North Africa, Caribbean, Polynesia, etc.

There are so many ideas that I can use for French and for English classes. Thanks to my colleagues for getting my past my dismissive attitude toward Pinterest!

1 comment:

  1. Nikki, I'm so glad you liked the tapas board. I use Pinterest regularly, but I had never considered using it as a classroom curation tool either. If you get a chance, read what Amy Selman posted on this blog topic as well. She has some more great ideas on how to use Pinterest with culture. I think it would be entirely applicable to your class.

    ReplyDelete